The M.Tech. and PhD Programmes of the Department of Home Economics and Hospitality Management are intended to prepare professionally qualified individuals who can assume leadership positions in government, secondary schools, colleges of education, polytechnics, universities, industry and commerce. The Federal Government of Nigeria has, since the introduction of the National Policy on Education, placed emphasis on vocational and technical education. This emphasis has led to the establishment of College of Education (Technical) in various parts of the country and the introduction of programmes of technical and vocational education in several polytechnics and universities in Nigeria. All such programmes require well-trained lecturers with postgraduate qualifications in vocational and technical education.
The postgraduate programmes of the Department of Home Economics and Hospitality Management are intended to:
- equip students with professional competencies that will enable them serve in leadership positions in secondary schools, government, colleges of education, polytechnics and universities;
- increase the technical knowledge and skills of students so that they can keep abreast of technological development in their areas of specialization; and
- develop research skills in students and teach them to apply such skills in the solution of problems in vocational and technical education.
The M.Tech. and Ph.D Programmes of the Department of Home Economics and Hospitality Management are designed to offer courses in six different areas of the field.
- Master of Technology Education (M.Tech)
The following categories of candidates may be admitted on application
- Graduates of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka or of other approved universities who have obtained at least a second-class honours degree or its equivalent in:
- Home Economics Education
Graduates of related disciplines such as Engineering, Home Economics, Textile Technology, Fashion Designing, Home and Rural Economics, Clothing Technology, Business Administration, Plastic Technology, Computer Sciences and different areas of Agriculture, who have obtained a second class honour degree or its equivalent, and who have in addition a Post-Graduate Diploma in Technical Education (PGDTE), passed at credit level and above.
- Holders of the Higher National Diploma who have in addition obtained a Post- Graduate Diploma in Technical Education at credit level or above.
- Other Graduates of the University of Nigeria, or of other recognized universities whose detailed academic records are considered satisfactory by the Senate of the University of Nigeria.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D)
Candidates who possess a Masters or Higher degree in any area of Home Economics and Hospitality Management from the University of Nigeria or other approved universities may be admitted into the Doctor of Philosophy Programme provided that they obtained a minimum GPA of 3.50 on a 5-point scale or 3.00 on a 4-point scale and that a satisfactory research work formed part of the Master’s
Candidates who hold other qualifications may be admitted into the Doctor of Philosophy programme if their detailed academic records are satisfactory to the Senate of the University.
MODE OF STUDY
- The Master of Technology Education degree will be prosecuted through course work and project, where course work predominates over research and constitutes not less than two-thirds of the total credit load.
- Doctor of Philosophy: The Doctor of Philosophy degree will be prosecuted through course work and doctoral research thesis.
DURATION OF PROGRAMME AND RESIDENTIAL REQUIREMENTS
The maximum and minimum duration of Postgraduate Programme shall be:
(a) Master’s Programme
Full-time: The minimum duration = Four Semesters
The maximum duration = Six Semesters
Part-time: The minimum duration = Six Semesters
The maximum duration = Eight Semesters
(b) Ph.D Programme
Full-time: The minimum duration = Six Semesters
The maximum duration = Ten Semesters
Part-time: The minimum duration = Eight Semesters
The maximum duration = Twelve
Students who successfully complete the postgraduate degree programmes of the Department of Home Economics and Hospitality Management may be employed in the following positions:
(a) Secondary school principals, vice-principals and teachers of technical and vocational subjects.
(b) Administrators and managers of training programmes in industries.
(c) Lecturers in N.C.E programmes in Home Economics and Hospitality Management in Colleges of Education and Polytechnics.
(d) Lecturers in degree programmes in Vocational and Technical Education Programmes in Universities.
AREAS OF SPECIALIZATION
The Department of Home Economics and Hospitality Management offers M.Tech. Programmes in various areas of specialization as specified below. Students may specialize in any of these areas at both Masters and PhD levels:
Child Development and Care Education
Clothing & Textile Technology Education
Food and Nutrition Education
Home Management Education
Hospitality Management Education
Stress Areas Stress Codes
- Vocational and Technical Education Core courses 0
- Home Economics &Hospitality Managt Edu 1
- Child Development and Care Education 2
- Clothing & Textile Technology Education 3
- Food and Nutrition Education 4
- Home Management Education 5
- Hospitality Management Education 6
- Dissertation/Thesis 9